Tuesday, January 23

BONING UP ON THE B's

It's really incredible how hard it was to choose only one featured artist today. Billie Holliday, Bobby McFerrin, the Beatles ... the list was huge. As I was scanning the list, though, one band's name leaped out at me and when a big grin was my response, I knew I had found my target group. I remember dancing to my mom's records when I was a little kid. What memories! It might be cheesy, but it was fun. Here you go. Today's featured artist:

BONEY M

Boney M was cr
eated in 1976 by German producer Frank Farian (same guy responsible for Milli Vanilli) by bringing together four West-Indian studio musicians. They never really took off in North America, but became insanely popular on the Euro-disco scene. During the 70's, Boney M had a string of top-ten dance hits, such as "Daddy Cool", "Rivers of Babylon", "Rasputin" and "Ma Baker". They also had a seasonal hit with "Mary's Boy Child", which is definitely my favorite version of this song.

Boney M continues to record albums to this day, and still enjoys immense popularity in Europe as a techno-dance group. Here's one of their hits. I still remember my high school history teacher introducing this song to us as part of our Modern History course.


1 comment:

Desert Songbird said...

Wow - Boney M! I haven't heard them since my vacation to Europe in the summer of 1978.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.